Principles of Finance course participants will gain the following significant benefits:
- Development of a vocabulary of financial terms
- Knowledge of financial concepts in order to more effectively understand financial implications in their business
- Skill Development to read and analyze financial statements
- Ability to better assess financial risk
- Ability to customize master budgets for their area(s) of responsibility
This Principles of Finance course is recommended for:
Mid-level managers with some or no financial management knowledge who wish to understand financial concepts and documentation to be able to discuss such matters more effectively with financial personnel
There are no pre-requisites for this course
Upon completing this course you will be able to:
- Understand fundamental finance terminology and key concepts
- See how your day-to-day decisions impact on your company’s flow of money (cash flow) and profit
- Make the difference between cash flow and profit
- Understand the structure and purpose of three key financial statements: balance sheet, income statement (profit or loss), and the statement of cash flows
- Perform basic analysis of financial statements through vertical, horizontal, and ratio analyses
- Understand fundamental key management accounting terms and concepts
Introduction to Financial Management
- What is finance?
- What is the difference between finance and accounting?
- Risk assessment
Understanding Financial Statements
- The Accounting Equation: Assets, Liabilities and Equity accounts
- The structure and function of the: Balance Sheet, Income Statement (Profit & Loss) and the Statement of Cash Flows
- What is depreciation?
Introduction to Management Accounting
- Fixed, variable, and mixed costs
- Breakeven analysis
- Capital structure and working capital
- Cash flow considerations
- Understanding the value of money over time
- Capital budgeting and calculating net present value
- Calculating return on investment
- Budgeting methods and creating a master budget
Putting it All Together
- Recap of all key material
- Practical assessment: How can this new knowledge be used to improve your work performance?
This course is designed to be taught interactively with maximum attendee participation. There will be group exercises (including role playing), training videos, and group discussions that emphasize real life experience.
Dates & Location
September 07 – 08, 2017 (2 days)
Individual enrollments: $450 per person
Early Individual enrollments: $405 per person
Alexander Franco, PhD
Alexander Franco is an Associate Professor of Business at American University at Phnom Penh. He received a Bachelor of Arts (BA) from Columbia University in economics, a Master of Science (MS) in Accounting, with a minor in business administration, from Pace University, and a PhD in public administration with a specialization in financial management and budgeting. Dr. Franco has been a teacher and corporate trainer for almost twenty years and has taught in the United States, Mexico, China, The Philippines, Myanmar, Thailand, and the Kurdistan Region of Iraq. He has received numerous awards for outstanding teaching.
Dr. Franco has written several books and many commissioned studies as well as scholarly journal articles. Prior to entering academia, he was an internal, external, and international auditor who conducted financial and operational audits on six continents in three languages. Dr. Franco is an avid reader and has had a dozen book reviews published in scholarly journals.
You can also contact us at:
Phone: 023 990 023